eat | coconut rice
Pretty sure I could live on all things coconut for the rest of my life. I add coconut milk (from the can; it’s way better) to my morning espresso, sprinkle unsweetened flakes on kale salad and eat gluten-free coconut macaroons from the co-op by the dozen.
And, my new favorite: coconut rice. Yeah, yeah, it’s rice, and most of the time I use white basmati rice (gasp!). But, given that I’m training for Ironman Canada a lot, I can use a few carbs in my life.
The subtle and slightly sweet coconut flavor is a nice complement to roasted veggies, curry, chicken, turkey, kale, and on and on. Also tasty with…
- Pacific creamy tomato soup. Throw in the rice, some avocado, sweet potato and sprinkle with parm, and you have a delicious – and super simple – dinner. It’s been my go-to for the past month.
- Fresh roasted veggies. My fave: sweet potatoes sauteed in coconut oil. Equally delicious with roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
- Dave’s Gourmet butternut squash sauce + ground turkey. We just make this combo last Sunday, and it’s fantastic.
- Sautéed kale, sweet potato and rogan josh sprinkled ground turkey. Yum.
- Freshly grated ginger. It adds a nice zing!
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (from the can! Currently loving Native Forest brand)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tsp chicken bullion (optional)
All all ingredients to a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium (so it doesn’t boil over) and cover. Stirring occasionally, cook until all water is reduced.
Makes, hmm, a lot. This batch usually lasts use three meals between me and Nick, so six servings.
Be sure to turn the heat down to medium. I forgot and turned my back for a few seconds, and coconut milk boiled over everywhere!